Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Traveling alone

Waiting for the limo
The big limo with longhorns pulls up in front of my RV
I join a couple with a rented RV from Holland
They say they saw me before at a campground in St Louis
They are driving Route 66 and are amazed at the country
I'm doing my spring trek from winter home to summer home
Where is your husband they ask, do you travel alone
I explain that he travels to teach Pencak Silat
They understand this being a very popular martial art in Holland
We split up at the door to the steakhouse

I talk to the server a little bit as she makes her quick stops at my table
I chat with the couple from the Florida panhandle at the next table
They just bought their first travel trailer today
Where is your husband they ask, do you travel alone
They travel a lot like we do, back and forth across the country
They are rarely home in Florida, but like having it as a home base
And they travel together to see her children in one place and his in another
I finish, box my leftovers and head out for the ride back

As I'm waiting for a limo it starts to sprinkle
The driver finally figures out that I'm not waiting for another person
 He asks me if I'm waiting for a limo and where I'm going
Where is your husband they ask, do you travel alone
He rushes me back to the campground to beat the rain
Completely clear blue skies have turned to storms while I ate
He tells me there are other campgrounds not by the prisons
He wishes I wouldn't stay there by the prisons alone
I rush inside to close the windows I've left open just before the downpour


Today I have spent hours talking or messaging to coworkers
Today I have spent time texting to my husband and reading his posts
Today I have responded to posts on Facebook that others have posted
Today I have spent time talking to people I meet on the road
Today I have spent a lot of time talking to my son
I do not travel alone as there are always people to meet
I do not travel alone as there is always contact with my loved ones
I enjoy each day on the road until I finish for a bit
           and stop to get hugs from family and friends

 --Margaret Westlake
April 20, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment